Friday, February 03, 2012

Shrimp & Grits

I'm always looking for new recipes.  My friend, Sandra, and I share recipes back and forth and are constantly talking about what is on our menu for the week.  When Sandra gives me a recipe I know it is GOOD and this recipe did not let me down.  I was a little nervous about working with the grits and shrimp because I don't usually cook them but it was SO easy.  Two big pots and a baking dish is all you need.  The best thing about this dish is you can make it the day before and then just pop it in the oven when it's time to cook. I served this for breakfast but it could also be served at dinner with a nice salad. 

1 cup Quick Grits (not instant)
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp. salt
1 small can cream corn
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
2 Tbsp. butter
1 green bell pepper, chopped small-ish
6 green onions, chopped
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 clove garlic, minced
2 pounds raw shrimp, peeled and deveined

Prepare grits in broth and cream and salt.  Stir in cream corn and 3/4 cup of each kind of cheese.
Melt butter and saute green pepper, green onions, tomatoes and garlic.  Add dash of salt and pepper if desired.  Add shrimp, cooking until they turn pink.  Stir shrimp and veggies into grits.
Pour into a 9x13-inch baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.  Add and additional 20 minutes if it was prepared ahead and is coming from the refrigerator.

No comments: